Tokyo is a city famous for its endless sprawling buildings and ability to get ramen at 2 in the morning. If you’re coming to Japan one of the most likely reasons is because you love Japanese food. You can’t get enough it and you plan to eat your way through the city. Or is that just me?
I wanted to bring you the 50 Best Places to Eat in Tokyo to help you with your gastronomic journey. I’ve also done a complete Budget Traveller’s Guide to One Week in Tokyo that can help you with your itinerary.
Most of the restaurants listed below are places you can get a meal for under 1000 yen making it great for budget travellers.
When I went on my three-week trip I budgeted 1100 yen for lunches and 3000 yen for dinner. If you want to find out more about how to budget for a 1 week, 2 week or 3 week trip in Japan check out my guide here.
I put together my 50 Best Places to Eat in Tokyo from spending a good 6 months before my trip reading through neverending Trip Advisor recommendations, Lonely Planet Guides, blog reviews and heaps and heaps of Youtube videos. These might not be the fanciest restaurants that Tokyo has to offer but it’s the kind of good, heartwarming food that will leave you craving more.
The following list is in no particular order, you just need to try all of them!
Let’s begin with my 50 Best Places to Eat in Tokyo
- Sushi Zanmai – Sushi – Japan, 〒104-0045 Tōkyō-to, Chūō-ku, Tsukiji, ４丁目１１−９
- Dansyouya – All you can eat Yakiniku – Japan, 〒104-0061 Tōkyō-to, Chūō-ku, Ginza, 7 Chome−2−先 銀座コリドー114
- Okonomiyaki Kiji – Okonomiyaki – Japan, 〒100-0005 Tōkyō-to, Chiyoda-ku, 千代田区Marunouchi, 2 Chome−7−3, 東京ビルTOKIA
- Tokyo Ramen Street – multiple Ramen restaurants – Japan, 〒100-0005 Tōkyō-to, Chiyoda-ku, Marunouchi, 1 Chome−9−1, 東京駅一番街
- Coco Curry – Japanese curry chain restaurant – multiple locations
- Hourantei – The best Ramen we had in the whole of Tokyo! – located in the exit tunnel of Asakusa (Tsukuba Express) Station
- Cawaii Bread & Coffee – Pastry shop – 1F T&Yビル 16 30 2, 2 Chome-30 Hatchōbori, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 104-0032, Japan
- Satou – Menshi (deep fried crumbed meatball) – 1 Chome-14-1 Ginza, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 104-0061, Japan
- Tsurutontan – Udon – Japan, 〒106-0032 Tōkyō-to, Minato-ku, Roppongi, ３丁目１４−１２ 六本木3丁目ビル
- Afuri – Ramen – Japan, 〒150-0013 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Ebisu, 1 Chome−1−7, 117ビル \
- AB City – Fancy Hipster sandwiches – マンション 並木 橋, 1 Chome-31-19 Higashi, Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0011, Japan
- Gyu Katsu Motomura – Beef Katsu – 150-0002
B1 Floor Ono Bldg. 2 -Gokan, 3-18-10 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0002
- Tokyo Tonteki – Cheap gourmet pork steaks – Japan, 〒150-0002 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Shibuya, 2 Chome−22−10 タキザワビル2F – this place is hard to find – there is a small staircase on the corner of the building that you need to go up (don’t go across the bridge)
- Genki Sushi – Sushi chain restaurant – 24-8 Udagawachō, Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0042, Japan
- Mai-Sen – Pork Katsu – 4 Chome-8-5 Jingūmae, Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0001, Japan
- A Happy Pancake Omotesando – Japanese pancakes – Japan, 〒150-0001 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Jingūmae, 4 Chome−9, 神宮前4−9−3 清原ビル B1F
- Dominique Ansel Bakery – Award-winning pastries – 5 Chome-7-14 Jingūmae, Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0001, Japan
- Luke’s Lobster – New York style lobster rolls – Japan, 〒150-0001 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Jingūmae, 6 Chome−６−７−１
- Kawaii Monster Cafe – Crazy desserts and meals – Japan, 〒150-0001 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Jingūmae, 4 Chome−31, 渋谷区神宮前４丁目３１−１０ YMスクエア 4F
- Seiko-En – $12 beef lunch set – Japan, 〒150-0001 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Jingūmae, 6 Chome−６−４−１ 原宿八角館ビル
- Santa Monica Crepes – Harajuku style crepes – 1 Chome-16-168 Jingūmae, Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0001, Japan
- Cafe Crepe (Angel’s Heart) – Harajuku Style crepes – 1 Chome-20-6 Jingūmae, Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0001, Japan
- Sweet Box – Harajuku style crepes – 1 Chome-17-5 Jingūmae, Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0001, Japan
- Fu-Unji – Ramen – Japan, 〒151-0053 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, 渋谷区Yoyogi, 2 Chome−14−３ 北斗第一ビル
- Shinjuku Kappo Nakajima – $10 Michelin star lunch – Japan, 〒160-0022 Tōkyō-to, Shinjuku-ku, Shinjuku, 3 Chome−32−5, 日原ビル
- Torikizoku – Yakitori chicken chain restaurant – multiple locations
- Yokocho Street – famous Izakaya (Pub) street – Japan, 〒160-0023 Tōkyō-to, Shinjuku-ku, Nishishinjuku, １丁目２
- Menya Musashi – Ramen – Japan, 〒160-0023 Tōkyō-to, Shinjuku-ku, Nishishinjuku, 7 Chome−2−6, K-1ビル
- Nagi – best Shoyu Ramen – 1 Chome-1-10 Kabukichō, Shinjuku-ku, Tōkyō-to 160-0021, Japan
- Itamae Sushi Edo – Edo era themed sushi restaurant –
- Ninja Asakasa – Ninja themed restaurant – Japan, 〒100-0014 Tōkyō-to, Chiyoda-ku, Nagatachō, 2 Chome−14−3, 赤坂東急プラザ (located inside Tokyu Plaza Akasaka)
- Iseya – 100-year Yakitori restaurant, you must go here if you are visiting Studio Ghibli – 1 Chome-2-1 Gotenyama, Musashino-shi, Tōkyō-to 180-0005, Japan
- Ichiran – Ramen chain restaurant – multiple locations
- Tempura Tendon Tenya – Tempura chain restaurant – multiple locations
- Sometaro – Okonomiyaki – 2 Chome-2-2 Nishiasakusa, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 111-0035, Japan
- Asakusa Kagetudo – Famous Melon pan (bread) – 2 Chome-7-13 Asakusa, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 111-0032, Japan
- Wonder Parlour Cafe – Victorian Era Maid Cafe – 3 Chome-9-15 Higashiikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tōkyō-to 170-0013, Japan
- Shirohige’s Cream Puff Factory – where they serve the famous Totoro cream puff – 5-3-1 Daita, Setagaya 155-0033, Tokyo Prefecture
- Daily Chico – 7 Layer Icecream – Japan, 〒164-0001 Tokyo, Nakano, ５丁目５２−１５ 中野ブロードウェイ
- Katsumoto – Tsukemen Ramen – 2-15-5 Misakicho Chiyoda Tokyo
- Marushizu – Unagi (eel) – 6 Chome-12-10 Tsukiji, Chūō, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
- Saitamaya – Yakitori – 2 Chome-5-12 Higashijujo, Kita, Tokyo 114-0001, Japan
- Oriental Lounge at the Mandarin Oriental – Gorgeous Afternoon High Tea overlooking Tokyo, bit pricey but totally worth it – 2-1-1 Nihonbashi Muromachi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-8328, Japan
- Katsukura – Famous Pork Katsu – 千駄ヶ谷5-24-2 (タカシマヤタイムズスクエア 14階), Shibuya, Tōkyō, 151-0051, Japan
- Han no Daidokoro Kadochika – Yakiniku – 2-28-5 Dogenzaka | Shuei Bldg B1F, Shibuya 150-0043, Tokyo Prefecture
- Harajuku Gyozaro – Gyoza (Japanese dumplings) – 6-2-4 Jingumae, Shibuya 150-0001, Tokyo Prefecture
- Funabashiya Kameidotenjinmae – Anmitsu (Japanese traditional dessert) – 3-2-14 Kameido, Koto 136-0071, Tokyo Prefecture
- Tsukiji Marutake – Japanese Rolled Omelette – 4-10-10 Tsukiji | Tsukiji Center Bldg. 1F, Chuo 104-0045, Tokyo Prefecture
- Kinno Torikara – Deep fried chicken fries (popular Japanese snack) – 25-3 Udagawacho, Shibuya, Tokyo Prefecture
- Shinpachi Shokudo – Grilled Mackerel – 1-15-9 Nishishinkuku | KC Building 1F, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture
After looking at this list is your stomach grumbling?
Planning on visiting Tokyo?
- The Budget Traveller’s Guide to One Week in Tokyo
- 10 Reasons to Visit Tokyo Disney Sea
- Discounts and Passes Guide to Japan 2018
- How to Create a Japan Travel Budget
- 11 Myths Busted About Travelling to Japan