Welcome to Osaka, where all your food dreams come true at the ‘Kitchen of Japan‘. This sprawling city will never leave you with an empty stomach. Every way you turn there is some delicious meal to try. It’s no doubt why I chose Osaka as the city to begin my Japan trip!
I love Osaka for it’s relaxed and fun atmosphere, like street food vendors lining the streets in Dotonbori and the rabbit warrens of bars and izakayas that are open till late. There are so many great things to try when you are in Osaka, like authentic Okonomiyaki, deep-fried skewers called Kushi Katsu and Gyoza served fresh and hot at 3 am.
Are your taste buds drooling right now? Well prepare for my 50 Best Places to Eat in Osaka!
Most of the restaurants listed below are places you can get a meal for under 1000 yen making it great for budget travellers
Some traditional meals may be more expensive, I will indicate this ($$$) symbol.
When I went on my three-week trip I budgeted 1100 yen for lunches and 3000 yen for dinner. If you want to find out more about how to budget for a 1 week, 2 week or 3 week trip in Japan check out my budget guide here.
I put together my 50 Best Places to Eat in Osaka from spending a good 6 months before my trip reading through neverending Trip Advisor recommendations, Lonely Planet Guides, blog reviews and heaps and heaps of Youtube videos. These might not be the fanciest restaurants that Kyoto has to offer but it’s the kind of good, heartwarming food that will leave you craving more.
The following list is in no particular order, you just need to try all of them!
Let’s begin with my 50 Best Places to Eat in Osaka
- Ajinoya – Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake) – Japan, 〒542-0076 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Nanba, 1 Chome−7, 大阪市中央区難波１丁目７−１６現代こいさんビル2F
- Kushi Katsu Daruma – Kushi Katsu (deep-fried skewers) – various locations in the Dotonbori/Namba area
- Kokopelli – Beer & Hamburgers – 1-4-5 Namba 1-0-5, Chuo-ku , Osaka , Osaka prefecture 542-0076 TM building 1F
- Kani Doraku – Crab (look out for the restaurant with the big crab) ($$$) -〒542-0071 1-6-18, Dotombori, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka
- D-Sons 18 – Takoyaki – various locations in the Dotonbori/Namba area
- Imai Honten – Udon ($$$) – 〒542-0071 大阪府大阪市中央区道頓堀１丁目７−22
- Ikkaku – Juicy Chicken – 〒542-0085 大阪府大阪市中央区心斎橋筋２−６−6-14 アクロスビル
- Takoyaki Wanaka – Takoyaki & Okonomiyaki – Various locations such as Shinsaibashi, Amerikakura, Osaka Castle and Shin Osaka Station
- Eggs n Things – Japanese Pancakes – Japan, 〒542-0086 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Nishishinsaibashi, 2 Chome−10−２−CriceNikko 階, 1
- LiLo Coffee Roasters – Good Coffee – Japan, 〒542-0086 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Nishishinsaibashi, 1 Chome−1−10-28 心斎橋Mビ<
- Kuromon Ichiban Market – fresh seafood market – Japan, 〒542-0073 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Nipponbashi, 2 Chome−3−2
- Toki Sushi – 150 yen Sushi – Japan, 〒542-0075 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Nanbasennichimae, 4, 中央区難波千日前４
- Oretachi No Curry Ya – cheap curry and ramen – Japan, 〒542-0075 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Nanbasennichimae, 14, 大阪市中央区難波千日前 1４−１３
- Naruto Taiyaki Honpo – Taiyaki – 2 Chome-1-1 Nanbanaka, Naniwa-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 556-0011, Japan
- Konshinya – Cheap Ramen – ２丁目-4-3 Nanbanaka, Naniwa-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 556-0011, Japan
- Gram – Fancy Japanese Pancakes – Japan, 〒556-0005 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Naniwa-ku, Nipponbashi, 3 Chome−8−25 光ムセンビル
- Holo Holo – Coffee Shop serving cheap lunch specials – Japan, 〒556-0011 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Naniwa-ku, Nanbanaka, 2 Chome−7−25 ナンバビル1F
- Yoshinoya –690 yen beef bowls – chain store with various locations
- Matsuya – 500 yen beef bowls – chain store with various locations
- Kamekichi – french lunch set for 1200 yen – 〒540-0027 大阪府大阪市中央区鎗屋町１丁目３−13
- Sanmadego – Tsukemen Ramen – Japan, 〒540-0012 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Tanimachi, 3 Chome−2, 中央区谷町３丁目２−６ 園田ビル 1Ｆ
- Asushoku Morinomiya – Healthy lunch sets under 1000 yen – Japan, 〒540-0003 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Morinomiyachūō, 2 Chome−1, 大阪市中央区森ノ宮中央2-1-70 もりのみやキューズモールBASE 1F (located in Q Mall)
- Torikizoku – Yakitori chain restaurant – various locations
- Mos Burger – famous Japanese burger chain restaurant – various locations
- Sugared Berries – dessert shop – 1 Chome-11-11-20 Sonezakishinchi, Kita-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 530-0002, Japan
- Yataisakaba – Izakaya – Japan, 〒530-0056 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Kita-ku, Toganochō, 9−9-21 ホワイトレジャービル1F
- Kame Sushi – Sushi – 2 Chome-14-2 Sonezaki, Kita-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 530-0057, Japan
- Osaka Osho – Gyoza – Japan, 〒530-0051 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Kita-ku, Taiyūjichō, 6−9 日野商事ビル
- Yukari Chan – Okonomiyaki & Yakisoba – 2-4 Komatsubarachō, Kita-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 530-0018, Japan
- Uncle Rikuru’s Cheesecake – Famous fluffy Japanese cheesecake – Various locations
- Nissei – famous Cremia icecream – 1 Chome-1-3 Shibata, Kita-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 530-0012, Japan (located in Hankyu Department Store)
- Maguroya – Izakaya specialising in Tuna – Japan, 〒530-0012 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Kita-ku, Shibata, 1 Chome−15, 番7号
- Okonomiyaki Kiji – voted the best Okonomiyaki restaurant in Osaka – Japan, 〒531-0076 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Kita-ku, Ōyodonaka, 1 Chome−1−90 梅田スカイビル (in the basement level of the building)
- Teppanyakien – Teppanyaki – Japan, 〒531-0076 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Kita-ku, Ōyodonaka, 1 Chome−1−90 梅田スカイビルB1 (basement level of the building)
- Okonomiyaki Chitose – Okonomiyaki – 1-11-10 Taishi, Nishinari-ku, Osaka 557-0002, Osaka Prefecture
- Hakata Ippudo – Ramen – 3-1-17 Nanbanaka, Naniwa-ku, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture
- Yaekatsu – Kushi Katsu – 3-4-13 Ebisuhigashi, Naniwa-ku, Osaka 556-0002, Osaka Prefecture
- Yakumido – 500 yen curry (including vegetarian curry) – 2 Chome-2-10 Haginochaya, Nishinari-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 557-0004
- Traveler’s Bar Osaka Tacos – Tacos – 1-3-24 Taishi, Nishinari-ku, Osaka 557-0002, Osaka Prefecture
- Nanbantei – Yakitori – 4-5-7 Nanba, Chuo-ku, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture
- Unatoto – Unagi (eel) – Nishitenma, Kitaku, Osaka 530-0047, Osaka Prefecture
- Maidreamin – Maid Cafe – 4-16-15 Nipponbashi Naniwa-ku, Osaka 556-0005, Osaka Prefecture
- Gyozaoh! – Gyoza Izakaya – 2-4-14 Dotombori, Chuo-ku, Osaka 542-0071, Osaka Prefecture
- Kimu Katsu – Pork Katsu (pork cutlet) – 1-9-19 Dotonbori, Chuo-ku | Osaka Shochikuza B1F, Osaka 542-0071, Osaka Prefecture
- Harukoma – Sushi – 5-5-2 Tenjinbashi, Kita-ku, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture
- Hokkyokusei Shinsaibashi Honten – Omurice – 2-7-27 Nishishinsaibashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka 542-0086, Osaka Prefecture
- Moonshine Karaoke Bar – Drinks, bar food and lots of singing! – 2-12-8 Nishishinsaibashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka 542-0086, Osaka Prefecture
- Melonpan Ice – Melon Pan Icecream Sandwich – 1 Chome-4-19 Dotonbori, Chuo, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture 542-0071, Japan
- Japanese Sweets Champion Mattari Purin – Milk Pudding -1 Chome-9-17 Dōtonbori, Chūō-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu
- Kyuyamutei Curry Shop – curry under 1000 yen – Tanimachi, Chuo-ku, Osaka
(within Karahori shopping street)
Planning a trip to Osaka?
- 10 Reasons Why I Love Osaka: My favourite city
- 10 Tips to Maximise Your Day at Universal Studios Japan
- The Ultimate Guide to Anime Shopping in Den Den Town, Osaka
- The Ultimate Bucket List for Japan [Free Downloadable]